On February 4th 2010 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was completely stunned. I'm starting the "Scope That Colon! Initiative" to help others feel more comfortable dealing with this disease.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

It Itches!

Well I bet alot of you are asking yourselves, "Gee Todd, How did you know to get checked?"

Good question, But be warned, it might get a tad gross. It started about a year and a half ago when my anus started itching like crazy. I would get these "spells" where it would burn for about 20 minutes. Nothing I would worked to help stop it. And then, every time I wiped, there was a bit of blood.
Finally got the over the embarrassment and went to see our doctor. He then referred me to a proctologist.

He asked a few of the standard questions and chalked it up as an anal fissure due to constipation. "Start eating more fruit (which I hate, ask my wife) and stay away from caffine (and I love my Diet Pepsi, ask my wife again)" Great, make my day harder... Armed with that advice and some cream, I was feeling good.

Well over the time the itching came back and more blood apperared. This last bout had literally dibilitating itching spells (so much my 7 year old thought he had to call 911 once) and alot of mucusy blood.

Went back to the doctor and the flag went up... time for a colonoscopy.
Those are really fun... I'll tell you about that next time.

Lessons you all should learn from? Any itching or blood, get it looked at.

No comments:

Post a Comment