On February 4th 2010 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was completely stunned. I'm starting the "Scope That Colon! Initiative" to help others feel more comfortable dealing with this disease.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Honey, I'm home....

Well as most of you already know, I came home a couple days ago (Might of been Tuesday, I can't remember).
The whole experience really sucked. I don't mean that in anyway derogatory toward the staff at St Francis who were wonderful, but just the whole package in general.
They ended up taking out a chunk of colon and 15 lymph nodes.
First few days laying in bed next to people I don't know and only able to eat ice chips made me reach for the pain button quite a bit..lol.
After a few days they took me off the pain stuff, but I still wasn't passing anything "down there" so i was forced to stay there eating chicken broth and jello (god, I hope to never eat that crap again).
The worst was night time when you're "sober" . You don't realize how much noise the normal day to day shuffle drowns out the "unpleasantries".
When you're not all doped up you hear every machine, every bed alarm, every moan from pain and every crying family member who comes in the middle of the night with his/her sick relative.
Spent the last two night there just trying to cry myself to sleep or just aimlessly walking around the hospital at 1:30 in the morning.
Finally we were able to get me help with the sleeping, but by then the damage was done. I was a beaten man at that point.
Well anyways, they found the cancer has attacked my lymph nodes (10 of 15... those are pretty crappy odds) so a pretty aggressive chemo program starts in a few weeks. We spoke to the doctor about it and he threw around alot of medical terms and stuff but at that point I was just ready to go and didn't care about the next step.
Spent most of Tuesday in a haze and fog over the whole experince and my insanely strong wife kept me focused and helped me realize I need to be strong to beat this so that's the way it's going to half to be....
Hit up Dick's Sporting Goods and got my Livestrong Sweatshirt so now I'm ready.
The crappy thing is that having staples like this, wearing pants really sucks...and they just don't make cool bed shirts for men... At least not ones I can wear out to drop Luke off to school in...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment