On February 4th 2010 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was completely stunned. I'm starting the "Scope That Colon! Initiative" to help others feel more comfortable dealing with this disease.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

More Sea Otter news and notes (and other crap that happened last week that kept me off my bike)

Well it's been a week and a half since I've been home and the shit hit the fan fitness wise...More on that in a bit.

One of the cool things I found at Otter was www.Plus3Network.com. Last year when I was diagnosed and then realized I was going to be OK, I told myself I was going to give back and one way was to start a website for locals here in town to help them solicit funds and sponsors online for their charity events.
Well, me being the tech savvy guy I am, I never was able to figure out the best way to go about it. Well some one did. Basically they set up a website that allows you to choose a charity you want to support and then log in your work outs. They went ahead and matched up corporations for each charity who will pay dividends for your work out time. How cool is that?
I'm working on putting a local team together and get in touch with those of you interested.


I didn't get to do quite as much riding as I wanted to out there due to an sinus/ear infection I brought with me, but when I did get out, it was "interesting". Looking back I'm glad I have an opportunity to ride where I do, the trails out there were, let's say, boring. Great if you like to climb fire roads all day, but where's the rocks? The logs? Roots? Riders of New England... enjoy what you have here....

When we got back the family did do a day trip to NYC to hit up the Museum of Natural History and some Time's Square action... Place was PACKED and the kids didn't get many thrills out of the Museum. It would be neat to go there alone and be able to actually read some of the exhibits. We also bought the most expensive 2 pounds of M&M's in the world at the M&M store in Times Square.

Because the bike department at work pretty much shuts down if I'm not there, I picked up some extra hours at work too... Still not enough.

The sad news of the week was the loss of a family member. Connie's sister-in-law's grandfather passed away while I was away too. Don "Bompa" Griffen was a really cool guy. He served 65 years on the Hebron Volunteer Fire Dept., 25 as Chief. He loved the Sox and Uconn, and was fantastic to his family. We'll all miss him.

So basically with all of that and other stuff (kid's, soccer practice, house work).. I haven't really been able (or maybe , chose not to) to ride or work out since I got back... and lets not even talk about holiday time diets....
I need to get back at it now.... First race on the 14th (Winstead Woods) and the doing the second part of the Angel Ride (http://www.angelride.org/) on the 29th... I'll be hitting you all up for donations soon...
I'm going to need a road bike for that sucker...

Talk to you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand what you are saying about the trails at Laguna Saca. Before last year's event I thought that for such a marquee event the trails would be much more epic. Not so. I actually talked to a local during my extended stay and she told me people travel to sea otter and then ride demo forest. How funny is that.

    ReplyDelete