On February 4th 2010 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was completely stunned. I'm starting the "Scope That Colon! Initiative" to help others feel more comfortable dealing with this disease.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Time for a new charity ride...

One of the great things about our society is the fact that MOST  (notice I didn't say all) people want to do something to help others in need.  You can see this by all the charity rides and walks that are held every week end through out the country.  The most popular being of course...
Well this past week end our family had the pleasure of participating in The ERRACE (http://www.errace.org) event in Avon. I hopped on the bike and did the 25 mile ride while Connie, the kids, a good friend of hers and my nephew did the 5k walk.   What a well run event that was mapped spectacularly with great friends and lots of good food.  I'm not sure what the final totals were, but all the proceeds go to cancer research.  It was a great event.

Now please allow me to deviate here a bit and vent.   If things don't change soon, there's going to be a new charity event needed... the HBACWOACR Ride.  You see, as a survivor I appreciate everyone coming out and riding these events and rasing money and awareness.  ALOT of these people take their bikes out of cob webs once a year to do these rides and I love the enthusiasm.  BUT, when you have hundreds of "newbies" dumped onto main roads who have no group riding experience and cover the roads like there's a impenetrable "charity force field" around, mayhem ensues.
I always stay at the back of these rides because I don't want to be one of "those guys", you know the racer types who have to fly off the front, but at the same time, mid and back of the pack riders are putting their lives at risk following behind some of these groups who have no road sense.  LEARN THE RULES OF THE ROAD!!!!!!!!
So next year I will be having the HBACWOACR Ride, or "Hit By A Car While On A Charity Ride" Ride... Please give often, every little bit helps...   Stupid people....

On Sunday a group of buddies made the trek up to Killington VT for some downhill hijinks...Here's a vid of my mad skills
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150913713205766
Sorry, it's on FB
Had a blast and I have to say I didn't crash once... veered off the trail once or twice, but no crashing... had a good time and looking forward to doing it again....
But next time a full suspension bike is in order... over 8,000 ft of descending just isn't all that comfortable on a hardtail.....

And now the BIG NEWS!!!!!
I finally got off my ass (damn ADHD) and sent in the paper work for the first annual Ride/Hike Your A$$ Off!
The date is set for September 30th at Gay City State Park.  The plan calls for a mountain bike ride for the riders out there, and a hike for those afraid of bikes... Distances aren't set yet, but probably count on 12 and 3ish respectively...
All the proceeds will be going to Get Your Rear In Gear a great fun group who's mission statement is "Empower local communities to promote prevention and early detection of colon cancer and to provide support to those affected."   Check them out at www.getyourrearingear.com  
I'd love to have as many of my readers, friends and family come out to join in the fun... I have some things planned that I can't spill the beans about yet, but stay tuned...
A big thanks to Anne Carlson at Get Your Rear in Gear who has extremely patient (and frustrated I'm sure) with me in putting this on.

If anyone out there cares to help, or knows any companies that would like to lend their support, drop me a line... like everything else in my life, I need to get my ass moving on this....

That's all for today... take care!




No comments:

Post a Comment